1 . A few years ago,, it was a Seller's Market. Anyone could put a sign in their yard and sell their house. The market has changed and there are fewer buyers looking. Some of the buyers who are looking may not be aware that they may not qualify for a mortgage based on stricter qualifying criteria. An experienced real estate agent knows more about the market conditions than you do.
2. If you are going to devote all day to market and show your house it is wonderful, but chances are you have another full time job. The agents can show your house during the day, when you are at work , if there is a lock box.
3. You will probably put a sign in the yard and advertise in the newspaper. The agent has access to the muliple listing and this way all agents in the area will know about your house. Agents usually list on multiple sites as well.
4. Buyers feel uncomfortable when the seller is following them around when they are looking at the house. Most agents suggest that the seller leave the house during showings. But if there is no agent , you have to be there.
5. If a buyer is interested in putting an offer on your house, you may not have the negotiation skills necessary. You may be too emotional about your house and be offended if they want to offer less. The buyer may hesitate to make an offer directly with you. They may not trust you enough to give you a deposit. You can ofcourse use an attorney and escrow agent.
6. If you are thinking of saving the commission by selling on your own, please remember that the buyer is looking for the same savings. Why else would a buyer go to a seller selling 'by owner' when going to an agent will not cost him any more.?
7. You may not have the skills necessary to determine if a buyer is qualified. He may bring a prequalification letter from someone but there is more to it than prequalification.
8. An agent can attend inspections and negotiate buyer's requests.
9.An agent can keep up with all the things needed between agreement of sale and settlement like appraisals,titrle reports,mortgage payoffs, tax certifications etc.
10.An agent will attend settlement and the final walk through on day of settlement and take care of issues that come up.
If you are thinking of selling on your own because you think the fees are high, please note that in most cases the agent sells for more and also that the commission is negotiable. Please make sure that you know what your home is worth so you can get a fair market price and get an attorney to help you.
If you are thinking of selling your house in Philadelphia, Bucks or Montgomery Counties I will be glad to give you a market evaluation of your home and my detailed marketing plan to get your house sold.
Visit my web site www.gitabantwal.com
When you read about events please check the year for the event as some people find information a year later and think it is for that year. . The posts remain online even after the event.
Gita Bantwal is a Realtor with RE/MAX Centre Realtors in Bucks County, a Northern suburb of Philadelphia. You can view 1000s of listings on her web site www.GitaBantwal.com
She can be reached at 215-343-8200x124 or direct 215-275-8491 or via email email@example.com
If you would like a FREE MARKET EVALUATION OF YOUR HOME IN PHILADELPHIA, BUCKS or MONTGOMERY COUNTY call me at 2152758491
Gita specializes in Active adult communities and is a Seniors Real Estate Specialist. She holds the ABR designation (Accredited Buyers Representative) and specializes in selling to first time buyers as well as move up buyers.Gita also hold the CRS designation , Certified Residential Specialist and the CDPE designation as well. Information about real estate market is deemed to be correct but is subject to errors and omissions and should be verified independently.. Opinion expressed by me or others in my post and comments is not to be construed to be legal advice.I am licensed in Pa. Check real estate laws in your state as they may be different than in Pa.